Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 7: Surprise! Surprise!

In the original Day 7 as introduced by Ryan, the task was to surprise a friend.

But for some reason, this task makes me very uncomfortable. Maybe because surprises have usually not had positive outcomes in the past. I used to amuse myself by trying to thwart the efforts of my friends trying to plan surprise parties for me. Until one night it blew up in my face and I didn’t speak to my friends for about a year.

Maybe because the thought of “dropping in” on someone makes me squirm. It calls to mind the time we dropped in on my aunt and she was serving pea soup to her family. She “stretched” the recipe so the three of us could join them for dinner. The resulting experience can only be described as Dickensian. (“Please sir … can I have more?”)

So I brooded and thought hard about what kind of surprise I might feel comfortable with and that could turn out to be totally awesome.

Spontaneity: That was what I decided would be a better goal for me to shoot for. Especially after yesterday’s difficult time following directions and letting someone else drive the bus.

So even though I had intended to push for a hike at Sleeping Giant today, we ended up doing three awesome things instead:
1. Buying our fall mums, pumpkins and other decorations and sprucing up the outside of the house.
2. Attending the Southington Apple Harvest Fair, eating pizza at Connecticut's #1 wood-fired pizza restaurant, and watching a parade.
3. Finding out about the Fall Renaissance Festival’s Pet Day on October 24 and making plans to buy the perfect costume to embarrass Oreo.

It actually turned out to be a great day, one without a bit of planning, which just may be the biggest surprise of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment